Selborne Primary is an expanding school from two forms to three forms of entry. We are located in the centre of the Medway estate in Perivale within easy access of Perivale tube and numerous bus routes.
We are most fortunate to have a large site which includes extensive grounds where we promote participation in a variety of sports and outdoor learning. There is a centrally located quad garden and wildlife pond that provides a quiet area in the heart of our building. A recent development has given us a number of raised beds that make up our allotment. Children grow their own vegetables and fruit and then use the produce in cooking with the surplus being sold to the kitchen or parents.
We aim to maximise children’s achievement by removing barriers to learning through a varied inclusive curriculum delivered in a safe, stimulating environment. As a primary school, we believe we have a key role in society in combating discrimination and promoting fairness, justice and equality through our teaching and in the role models we offer.
We believe in our motto “Inspire and Achieve” and encourage all pupils, staff, parents/carers and the community to become actively involved in providing the best learning experiences for our children.
We hope you find this website useful. If you want more information or arrange a visit please contact the office.
- We want everyone at Selborne School to do the absolute best for all our children.
- Where learning is fun.
- Everyone is encouraged to reach their full potential.
- We respect and treat each other fairly.
- We feel valued as part of the community.
Our school is located in Perivale in the London Borough of Ealing, but it gets its name from the village of Selborne in Hampshire.
The Selborne Society was founded in 1885 to commemorate the life of Gilbert White (1720-1793), the Curate of Selborne in Hampshire and father of British natural history. As well as his acute observations and understanding of the relationship between living organisms and their environment, White was also a talented writer. His observations are recorded in a series of letters published in 1789 as "The Natural History of Selborne", now a classic of English literature and still in print.
In 1902, members of the Brent Valley branch of the Selborne Society created a bird sanctuary at Perivale Wood. The Society purchased the wood in 1920 to mark the bicentenary of Gilbert White's birth. It was declared a Site of Special Scientific Interest (S.S.S.I.) in 1957 and upgraded to Local Nature Reserve Status in 1974.
Perivale's links with Selborne in Hampshire led the school to being named after that village. The pupils of our school have visited the village and Gilbert White's house, and the school has access to Perivale Wood, which provides excellent facilities for the observation of birds, mammals, pond life, butterflies and other insects.
Selborne School is now a primary school, but originally opened in 1936 as a secondary school for boys. The new Gilbert White building was opened in 2007 to accomodate the Year 5 and 6 classes and in the next 18 months, further expansion is planned.
This is one of our earliest photographs of school life. It was sent to us by Mr. Wells (far left). The teacher is Mr. Pendrey and the photograph is believed to date from around 1940.